Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Bracketology with Liz

The madness of March is here.



But does it even matter, when our own beloved Wildcats aren’t dancing into the postseason?

For one, if you don’t think the big dance matters just because your team’s not in it, then probably just leave this page now (just kidding, please stay.) For two, THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST SPORTING EVENTS OF THE YEAR SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL GET USED TO IT.

That being said, a big part of the fun of the NCAA tournament is filling out a bracket BEFORE the tournament begins, and make your own predictions of the outcome in the tournament. If you didn’t accomplish this, much like I didn’t accomplish publishing this blog before the tournament started, don’t worry! You can still complete in many round by round competitions, which takes a lot of pressure off of making your picks.

A slight chance... but a chance. You never know unless you try!


But, for the sake of a good time, let’s assume you could care less about the First Four play in games and are still trying to decide who is going to win it all this year. My advice for filling out a competitive bracket? It’s impossible. No matter how much research you do, no matter how much you know or think you know about the game and the teams, you will end up finishing behind a dumbass who filled out their bracket based on the schools’ mascots.

However, as the tournament hasn’t technically started yet, I might just say now that my bracket is perfect and superior to everyone’s. ESPECIALLY Barrack Obama’s. I’ve beaten Obama in ESPN’s Tournament Challenge for the past three years and this year will be no different.

Thanks Good Advice Duck, but I will probably end up looking like a Jackass
no matter what I do.


The real key to winning bracket challenges is winning the later rounds in the tournament. This seems like a no brainer, and Duke has killed my bracket multiple times by being disappointing, but I’m ready this year. This year, instead of picking winners based on stats and style of play, I picked more on odds and trends. That being said, I’m putting a lot of confidence on Brad Underwood and Stephen F. Austin taking out the Blue Devils in the Sweet 16. Also, Brad Underwood is a K-State guy, so of course I have to root for him.

Let me give you my perspective at some teams with the potential to cut down the nets in Indianapolis:

KENTUCKY
Everyone keeps saying it is Kentucky vs. the field. This is true, but it is also false. It is true because when Kentucky is on their game and John Calipari and William Wesley are paying off the refs (not saying I believe it, but it’s an interesting read. You can find it here.) they are unbeatable. The Harrison twins are nuts. Willie Cauley-Stein, the SEC player of the year, is actually an Olathe Northwest alumni with ties to Spearville according to Kpreps.com.

Yes Dick, we know. We know he's really good. We don't need
to see his damn highlights.
 The only shadow of doubt I have about Kentucky is the fact that they are going into this tournament undefeated.The odds of winning it all after never losing don’t favor the Wildcats. Maybe if Bob Knight threw a chair across the floor I would feel more confident. 

FUN FACT: This was 30 years ago on Feb. 23. Despite a few bumps
and bruises, that chair hasn't aged a bit!

Kentucky WILL fall. I’m to the conclusion that they are either going to win it all, or lose in the first round to Hampton. Or maybe in the Sweet 16 to Valparaiso (one of my underdog picks). I've said this since December, if Kentucky is going to lose, five players AND Calipari himself are going to have to walk into that gym with their heads up their butts. There's no better place to choke then at the big dance.

VILLANOVA
Who the heck are these guys? Nova hasn’t gotten much media attention all year. They didn’t pop up on my radar until around the time of the Big 12 tournament when I was desperately trying to figure how K-State could get back on the bubble (there was no way in hell they could have). However these Wildcats rely pretty heavily on their 3 game, and we all know that tournament nerves can make the outside shooting game suffer. The Wildcats haven’t made it past the second round in the past four years. In fact, I specifically remember picking them as a final four team a few years ago and being incredibly disappointed. If they’re ready to make a run, Josh Hart shoots 46% from three point range, and four players’ average double digits. I picked them to go to the championship game, simply because I know very little about them and the teams I know very little about always manage to mess up my bracket.

VIRGINIA
A year ago, I loved the way Virginia played so much that they were my championship team. Then they lost to Michigan State in the regional final. I only assumed this would happen again, so I have them getting knocked out by the Spartans in the Round of 32. I guess I’m bitter. But maybe they will be a pleasant surprise.

WISCONSIN
My pick to cut down the net in Indiana is the Badgers, simply because the odds of Kentucky being perfect are so slim. Honestly though, it is Wisconsin’s time. They’re pissed, after coming up one point short to Kentucky in the final four last season. I predict an exact repeat, except this time, the Badgers manage to go the extra mile and overcome the favorite Wildcats. You will never run Kentucky down, their bench is just too deep, so taking them down is all about efficiency. Wisconsin is all about efficiency. They don’t make mistakes. They are the well-oiled machine that is going to earn me a ton of money in all the bracket challenges I’m entered in. I’ve got to pay for college somehow.

So these are my unprofessional, minimal researched thoughts on probable National Championship teams. The rest of the field is a tossup, and to be honest the only game I really care about is the possibility of a Wichita State and Kansas matchup in the Round of 32. I can’t wait to see those chicken hawks get spanked by VanVleet and Baker.



But hang in there cat fans! If you’re looking for some post-season hoop action, don’t forget the Lady Wildcats are playing Akron in the first round of the WNIT in Bramlage! The lady cats are 13-3 in the WNIT, and are 4-0 in first round games, winning by 11+ points. But just because you may have never heard of the Akron women’s basketball team doesn’t mean it won’t be a show. Defense will be the name of the game, as Akron is 25th in the nation in scoring offense. Breanna Lewis block party? I’ll supply the music.

 
DISCLAIMER: This is not actually me.

 Keep Smiling,
Liz Heath
Think I'm funny? Want to send my hate messages? GREAT!
Follow me on Twitter: @SaxophoneLizard 


DISCLAIMER: Big shocker here, I borrowed these images. I don't want any money from this, so it's legal. 






No comments:

Post a Comment