Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Geek's Guide to Bandwagoning

Everyone loves a good Cinderella story, but this year’s Sweet 16 seems to be lacking in that department. The lowest seeded team is No. 11 UCLA (who probably shouldn't have been in the tournament in the first place.) But based on UCLA’s tournament history (11 national championships, 18 Final Four appearances… and you know… John Wooden) it’s still hard to consider them a Cinderella.

Yep... that's... that's a LOT of banners right there.


Either way, this lack of Big 12 teams may lead the weaker of heart to do one of the most horrific sins of sports. You know what I’m talking about… BANDWAGONING!!! If you are bandwagoning on a team, you are Satan and I hate you.

It's rant time.


If you start liking a team simply because they are doing good… fine. BUT if that particular team hits a say… 29 year playoff drought, YOU MUST stick with that team through the bad times in order to qualify celebrating the good times.

There are moments you wait your entire life for, and then there is this
moment, which I literally waited my ENTIRE LIFE FOR!

 You can’t just suddenly reappear when the team starts doing good again!


That’s right, I’m looking at you, supposed “Wichita State Fans.” I know for a fact that half of you could care LESS about the Shockers five years ago, and probably you couldn’t even pronounce Koch Arena correctly, nor did you even truly know what a SHOCKER IS!
 
In your defense... yeah it is a little confusing... and terrifying.

Some of you who know me are probably thinking, “Yeah, but who bandwagoned on Florida Gulf Coast in 2013?” The truth is, that year I did bandwagon on Florida Gulf Coast. In my defense, I was desperate. K-State lost to No. 13 seeded LaSalle that year.





So yes, I rode the Florida Gulf Coast bandwagon. But what’s the difference between me and other bandwagon fans? I’m STILL riding that bandwagon today!! I can tell you that the Eagles were in the College Insider Tournament for the post season this year. They lost in the first round. I still pay attention to them. I follow their Twitter accounts. If they were in a major conference with TV schedules, I would watch them as religiously as I watch the Wildcats.



So if you are going to bandwagon a team, just know that to do it properly, you will end up stuck with them forever. So here is your official Geek's Guide to Bandwagoning checklist:
  • Pick a team with colors you actually like. (I am quite fond of blue and green.)
  • Carefully select a mascot that is not terrifying. (Eagles are bold and majestic.) 
  • Decide if it is a team you would be willing follow, even in their darkest times. (FGCU will return to the Big Dance someday...) 
  • Make sure that if you choose to bandwagon on this team, you won't overwhelm yourself based on other teams you are already bandwagoning on. (I am currently bandwagoning on only one team.) 


Go Eagles.
Go Cats.

Keep Smiling,

Liz Heath
I call out people who are bandwagoning on Twitter. @SaxophoneLizard

DISCLAIMER: These memes are used to enhance my blog, not enhance my paycheck. I am just a poor college student. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment